All of a sudden it seams Big Sis has sprouted. The dresses (HERE and HERE) I made her last year were getting tight, and it was time for some new dressy outfits. I raided my stash to make her a skirt and sundress. KCWC motivation to the rescue!
For the tiered skirt, I loosely followed the same method as her last skirt. Sis requested something more fancy, so I added a second tier, and set off the layers with coordinating bias trim. The top trim layer was created by 2" wide bias trim, double-folded. The second trim layer is wider, starting at 3" wide. I made the flat front, like Larissa's tutorial. I actually sewed it this time so that all the seams were covered. I wish I could show you, but with the black, it would not photograph well! My poor camera is on it's last leg. It actually started numbering photos back at zero again. Time to save my pennies. I had a yard of the black print I found on sale, the pink was a remnant from last year's sundress, and the other that lovely Savon Bouquet. Sis has a couple t-shirts that are raspberry pink that will match really well. She tried it on after school Friday. Success!
For the sundress, I used the same Popover Sundress pattern from Oliver + S that I did last year. (Free to download HERE.)
I am a bit sad it only goes to a size 8. All of my cute patterns end at size 8. Crap. Earlier this year I found this sunny print on clearance at JoAnns. Originally I thought I'd use it for my Portfolio dress, but this worked so much better. I did use the remnants of the white contrast from my dress for the yoke and ruffle detail on the hem. The bit of color at the top is a ruffle made from the Meadowsweet 2 line.
The ruffle was attached with a French seam, and I added a zigzag detail for fun.
This dress also passed inspection, although I need to shorten the ties a LOT.
The last item I need to complete is Sister's Banded Peasant Blouse. I'm about half way there.
Here's to a happy weekend for all of us! We've had gorgeous weather the last few days.