04 June 2010

New summer dresses

My girls needed new summer dresses.  This was a fun project I put together over the weekend.  I love that the dresses coordinate, but are different.
For my big girl, I used the Popover Sundress from Oliver + S.  It was a free pattern they offered last summer. I added a little ruffle detail at the bodice.

For baby, I took an Oshkosh corderoy jumper and made my own pattern from it.
The inspiration dress
My version

Baby's dress has a small ruffle flower sewn on with a button center, similar in design to this

I made their headbands based on calico's tutorial

In case you're interested, the bottom fabric is a seersucker stripe, the top fabric a cute calico print that coordinated.  The polka dot is scraps left from Baby's Summertime Romper.

Linking to Those Northern Skies, Kojo Designs, The Train to Crazy, Tatertots and Jello, The Girl Creative  Under The Table and and Dreaming, Sew Can Do and Someday Crafts, and Little Miss Momma.

19 happy thoughts:

Suzanne said...

I love the fact that they are similar, but different too! These are so cute. An awesome job!

Unknown said...

I found you on the Friday Blog Hop. I am now following you and hope you will head to one or all of my blogs to check them out! Have a great weekend! BUSY MOMS WHO LOVE TO READ
THE BUSY WOMAN'S GUIDE TO SURVIVING MOTHERHOOD
BUSY MOMS COOKING UP REVIEWS

Melissa said...

Those turned out great!! I love the second photo of the two of them together - so expressive.

You did a great job making a pattern from the corduroy jumper!!

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

What pretty summer time dresses! Wow, that is so creative of you to be able to adapt a pattern from a garment without deconstructing it! I wish I could do something like that. Actually, first I'd just like to actually make something WITH a pattern. Thanks for visiting Crafty Girls Workshop today! I'm sew happy to have a new crafty friend!

Anna

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

ADOrable! love the matching but not matching dresses and the ruffle headband is soo cute!

Just Wrap It Fitness said...

Visiting from Follow Me Friday! I hopped over from The Two Savvy Sisters Blog and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope you’ll do the same.

Smiles,
Nicole
TheTwoSavvySisters.blogspot.com

Julianna said...

Great dresses. I am still working on that Popover Dress pattern for my little girl. I keep getting stuck with the pattern.

Jessica Anne said...

Great dresses! I wish I could sew better (and faster). :) Following from the blog hop!

Jessica S. said...

Hello! I am following from Friday Blog Hop! Those dresses are so cute...I wish I knew how to sew ;)
http://naturalbabygiveaways.com/friday-fun-604/

Michelle said...

So cute! I'm a beginner sewer and took on curtains for the kids room. I now have left over fabric and was wanting to make a dress similar to the second. How hard is making your own pattern? I know clothes are much harder than curtains. I have a similar dress in the closet that I thought I could maybe use for a pattern. I so need a step by step tutorial on this! Are you up for it??

Thanks for visiting my site from NFF, I'll be following your site!

Anji* said...

Your girls are adorable in their dresses! I also love coordinating but not exactly the same..

Jaya P said...

Love how they match-and-not-match. Love their hairbands. Adore the kids-walking-hand-in-hand photo. Great work. Well done!

Housewife Eclectic said...

Oh my heck those are cute! You put them together over the weekend? You are crazy amazing!!

Thanks for the follow! I am returning it now! Debra- http://www.housewifeeclectic.com

Sew Can Do said...

Awww. . they look so sweet together:) Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

Andrea said...

GREAT work! Love the dresses.

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Fabulous job! These are adorable and I just love that they are made from matching fabric! The headbands are super cute too! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are haveing a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Heidi Wilcox said...

Love the headbands!!

Michelle said...

Hi, I've been following along, so many great posts! Enjoying them all. Do you still have plans to do a tutorial of the little dress you made in this set? I'm looking forward to it!

Tiffany said...

Its fun to see how they've grown from last year. I still like the Oliver+S pattern a lot.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...