I did it! I actually made TWO things just for me to wear. The Portfolio dress was the first dress I've ever made for myself, (without any help from my mom!)
As a follow-up, I wanted to make a new blouse. I had a fun grey chambray fabric I used partly for my daughter's skirt...bonus it matched the scraps left from my dress! It wasn't enough to make a Portfolio tunic, so I improvised. I found a great online peasant top for a woman HERE. A word of caution. This pattern is VERY generous. I ended up cutting 3 inches off the sleeves and two inches from the sides.
Instead of making casings with elastic, I gathered the neck and arm openings.
I used the Portfolio pattern's neckband for a pattern, and made the arm bands by measuring my arm and adding an inch. They are 3 inches wide.
I interfaced the outer neckband and entire arm band.
I added a slit to the back of my top, using my method for the Summertime Romper. I will make the facing a lot smaller next time!
I attached the neckband and armbands, similarly to the Portfolio Dress Sew-Along. I also added a contrast hem, just like I did for my dress.
You can see a quick how-to HERE.
I had these metal buttons in my stash...aren't they fun?
Here's the final top:
As this was my first try at something like this, I have some improvements I want to make for next time. I am going to make similar tops for my girls as part of Kid's Clothes Week Challenge. I'll write up a better tutorial with some pattern pieces for the neckband when I finish them up. :)
For some housekeeping info:
Gwen and I are delaying sharing your dresses, to allow you more time to finish. So plan on a Portfolio Dress Gallery a week from today.
Tomorrow is May's Sewing 101 post. I am so excited about my guest...and you will be too!
Hoping your weekend is fabulous! Happy Mothers Day!!
p.s. in case you didn't notice, my lovely earrings are rose quartz dangles from My Girlish Whims, and one of those flowers I made just happens to match perfectly. :)