29 April 2011

Sew-Along Day 5, Tips, tricks, and final results

We made it!  Are you happy with your dress?  Be sure to visit Gwenny Penny to see how Gwen's lovely dress turned out.


I'm really happy with mine. Here are a few things I wanted to share about how I made my dress that I hope will help you, too.


First of all, I made a muslin. I debated showing this photo, but here it is.


I used a thrifted sheet to make a trial version of the dress. I am really glad I did, because the size 14 was too tight in the chest area. Also, I realized that it was too short for my liking. So, I made a few changes. I went up two sizes...gasp....and added two inches to the length of the dress on pattern pieces 1,3,and 5.

The dress ended up being too big in a few spots.. (yes!)


 So, I took in the side seams, and long the seams at the yoke.



Second, I decided to embroider the yoke and neckband because I had a hard time finding a fabric that went with the main fabric of my dress.  I used THIS tutorial for the circles and also French knots, similar to THIS tutorial.  I've inspired by all the pretty things that Katy does with clothing.

Third, I made a contrast band for the bottom of my dress.  Even with adding two inches to the bottom, it was still shorter than I'm used to, and I didn't want to lose the added length.  Essentially, I cut two long bands of fabric just longer than the width of my dress, 5 inches wide.  Then, with the band cut side up, cut a diagonal that is just opposite of the slope of the skirt.  Here's a short picture tutorial to help you see what I mean:


If you need a more detailed version, let me know.  I used the basic method in the Oliver + S Lazy Days Skirt.

Me and my girls on Easter Sunday...my boy took the picture. :)
I'm so glad that we were able to do the sew-along.  It was just the motivation I needed to actually do some sewing for myself.  Now I think I will try this pattern again for a top.  Perhaps in time for Spring Top Sew Along over at Made by Rae.

Next Friday Gwen and I will share YOUR creations.  Be sure to upload all the fun things you're making into the Flickr Group!

Sharing with Creation Corner, Freckled Laundry, Tatertots and Jello, Today's Top 20, and Be Different Act Normal.

13 happy thoughts:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love your dress, Chris. Great idea adding the band at the bottom. The dress does end up being a little on the short side. I think I'd like to try this in a shirt version as well. Love the pic of you with the girls :)

celeste said...

you look great, chris! the length is perfect, and i love the contrasting band at the bottom. in fact, i think i prefer it over the original. nice job!

chris said...

@celesteThanks, Celeste. The dress is comfy, I love the pockets...and I am really happy with the bad. It makes the dress hang really nicely.

Sharon said...

It turned out great! I love the fabric you used. :

Ana @ Don't Fear the Ripper said...

Great job, Chris! I think my problem with this dress is exactly the opposite as yours: it's too big in the chest area and too small in the hips. I may have to do what you did, only opposite :). Thanks for the sew-along!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Excellent job Chris.

You were very prudent to make a muslin for this project. I think this pattern's sizing and length are very tricky and if I were to do this project with very expensive fabric, I would definitely use a muslin before cutting into the good stuff.

I also agree that the dress is too short and in hindsight {or going forward:) I think the tunic top would have been the better choice for me. I hope to finish soon, I have to do some tweaking because I didn't prepare a muslin.

You and Gwen have done a wonderful job on your dresses and your sew-a-long. It really is wonderful to see sewists connect online towards a common goal like this.

Lindsay said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog to check out my little wreath. It's so fun to blog hop, glad I've landed on yours, so creative!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Wow! It looks great!! What a lovely dress. I like the way you had the confidence to change the pattern to suit you. It does look as though it might be a little short without the band!

Sarahx

Jocelyn said...

I wasn't able to do the sew along last week, but plan to do this dress in the near future....yours looks wonderful :) I may have to steal your idea of adding a contrast band at the bottom-I like how it looks!

Mandy said...

It looks great! i love the idea to do a mock-up first. It makes me wonder if I am brave enough to try sewing clothes again!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

what a pretty dress! I am so nervous about sewing clothes for myself, but now you have me itching to go find this pattern so I can try! You and your girls look so lovely in your dresses!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea too use a thrifted sheet for a practice. I can't imagine being able to actually wear something that I sewed. Beautiful pic of you guys.

Jessica said...

better to have it too big and be able to take it in! Great job and I like your fabric.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...