07 March 2010

More Fun with the Pressure Cooker

A while back, I told you about my favorite new kitchen tool, the Presto Pressure Cooker. A friend wrote to me about using it to cook dried beans. I've been trying to incorporate more beans in our diet, and I decided one day last week to try out the cooker with beans.  As a preface, I have not had great luck cooking beans.  They usually turn out crunchy (yuck!)
I started with two bags like this (although I cooked black eyed peas):
 
I soaked the beans overnight, as prescribed on the back of the bag.  Then, using the instructions from the cooker, I cooked the beans with the recommended amount of water and a little bit of oil.  The whole process was done in 30 minutes.  They were super tender, and turned out great.  Two bags made a lot:

Ready for the freezer!  

I had enough to make tacos that night, and also a treat:
Have you ever heard of bean fudge?  Yes, bean fudge.  It was quite yummy!  And, a fun way to get the kids to agree that beans are OK.  Here's the recipe:

Bean Fudge
1 c. soft cooked beans, mashed
3/4 c. butter
6 Tablespoons cocoa
2/3 c. powdered milk
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla
4 1/2c. powdered sugar

Beat together beans and butter.  Add powdered milk, cocoa, and vanilla.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time, until mixture is firm.  Spread into buttered dish.  Keep in the refrigerator. 

I was a little bit skeptical, but these actually turned out really good...and they are a lot less fat than typical fudge. 

 Here's little boy tasting the fudgy goodness before it goes in the refrigerator.


3 happy thoughts:

q-bella said...

I'm so glad to hear about your adventures with pressure cooking. Everyone I know who uses them loves them. I might have to get one.

Heidi Wilcox said...

You are ambitious! I've only done canned beans. I'll take your word on the bean fudge though;)

Kristi said...

I love it! Bean fudge! I love to cook with beans but my kids aren't fans. I'm going to try making that without telling them. I really do think that freshly cooked beans are a treat. So much better than canned. Now only if I could get my fam. on board.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...