15 March 2012

DIY Craft Kits

For Big Sister's birthday, I wanted to come up with something that would continue to nurture her creativity.


I had seen some cute kits in stores (which is great!), and thought I could make some of my own.  Some of the kits are based on free tutorials, others came from patterns that I purchased from crafty moms like myself.


I made a total of six kits.  Each was tucked into a zippered bag I had saved from when we purchased curtains last year for our former house.  (I knew they'd come in handy!)  Most of them had a small pocket, and I made labels to slip inside.

The first kit is based on an embroidery pattern I purchased from Sarah Jane.


I cut out fabric rectangles, just the size for the designs, and included all the floss colors Sis will need.  We just need to iron-transfer some designs, and she'll be off and running.


For several of these projects, Sis needed some of her own fabric.  I knew she'd love Riley Blake's Fly a Kite designs, and looked on Etsy for a good deal on a fat quarter pack.  I found Kerri at Sew Deerly Loved, and she was awesome.  I purchased the fabric, and then realized I'd need to get it quicker than anticipated.  She sped up her delivery, and the fabric arrived two days later.  I was so impressed with her kindness.

Two kits are based on Bit of Whimsy PDF sewing patterns.  Sarah happened to be having a sale when I needed it, and I purchased two patterns.  The Beth doll has glasses and braids...perfect!


I printed off the pattern, and made a 6" x 9" matching envelope to hold everything with a photo laminated to the front.  I love that clear laminating plastic!


Inside the kit I included flesh colored fabric, thread, and the items needed for hair.  I thought Sis would like choosing from her new little fabric stash to dress her doll.

Next kit includes items to make a sleeping bag for Sister's American Girls doll.  Melissa @ Polka Dot Chair created a great tutorial for Riley Blake's Design Blog.    I made a printable version and included all the notions in the package.


Final kit, I wanted something Sis could do completely on her own, unsupervised.  I saw this darling picture tutorial on Pinterest to make a clothespin doll.  I simply printed it on cardstock, laminated it, and then included all the goodies Sis will need.  This included craft paint, glue, and pre-cut circles of fabric.  I'd purchased the old fashioned clothespins a while pack from Etsy (yet another project I didn't get to!)


I hope that inspired you to come up with a kit for a special girl in your life.  I know Sis and I are going to have a lot of fun together working on these!

Sharing with Creation CornerFreckled Laundry, and Tatertots and Jello.

Featured by Freckled Laundry!  Thank you!

18 happy thoughts:

Diana said...

FUN!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

That is the sweetest present! I hope she has so much fun with her awesome kits, and I hope I can remember to do awesome stuff like this for Sadie and Charlotte when they get older!

Marjorie said...

Awesome gifts!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that keeps the curtain packages. And equally impressed to see you've put yours to good use. This is such a darling idea. They'd make great gifts for a craft night as well.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

These are perfect, Chris! Great project choices. I love this idea so much.

Melissa said...

Oh - what sweet little packages - I think I might have to put the clothespin doll package together for a certain little girl who turns eight in May!!

You are such a fabulous Mom, Chris!! I don't know how you find time and build a house too!!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Amazing ideas! I love all of them! These would also be great to put together for summer- just have all the supplies on hand, with the instructions ready for rainy days or too hot to be outside days.
xoxo

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

What a great gift, that is so thoughtful planning out each kit with the project idea and supplies. I have loved all of the projects your daughter has made that you have featured, I am sure she absolutely loves this. That sleeping bag is such a perfect project for a young sewist.

Tiffany said...

Whoa, this is seriously well thought out. Impressive! Honestly some of those would be great for say, me :) the doll sleeping bag, shut it! Kya would love that. Now I must find check out some of the links. Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Louisa said...

What a neat idea. You've inspired me to come up with a homemade kit for my almost niece for her next birthday. I love the way you've packaged your kits!

Unknown said...

What a great gift idea for the creative child (and the creative mom)!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from tt&j. What a fun idea! I want one to play with ;)

Im going to poke around your site a little more. I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party!

Unknown said...

I'm your 969th follower-woohoo!! This is a thoughtful idea-I'm sure she'll love it! Stop by for a visit!

Unknown said...

Oh, wow! I so love this idea! I may have to do something like this for my Little Crafter's birthday! Would you consider sharing here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/shine-on-fridays-19-and-some-fabulous.html

Sarah Jackman said...

What a cute idea! I have a niece that would love some of these for her birthday.

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh she is going to love those! What a thoughtful and useful gift you gave her, and it will for sure peak her creativity. Hope all is well with the building front.

Heidi Wilcox said...

So cute! I bet she loved them. I can't wait to see her finished projects:)

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...