25 June 2011

Red, White and Blue

Independence Day Celebrations are coming up.  I have been insanely busy this week, and can't disclose too much at this point.  Not wanting to drop completely off the map, I thought I'd show my latest version for the banner wreath and seasonal pillow:




I went with simple-to-cut-out triangles in two sizes, with pinked edges, sewed into double folded white bias trim.


I have had red, white and blue fabric set aside for at least 6 years to make into something patriotic.  At first it was going to be a flag-themed wall quilt, and then everything was put away with moving to Idaho from Utah, having two more babies etc etc etc.  Since discovering blogging, banners, and adorable throw pillows, I think I like this result so much more.
Here's the pillow:


I have wanted to play with pinwheel designs for a long time.  I found Vanessa's Pinwheel Tutorial, and decided to try it while I was cutting out everything else.  I didn't pay attention to size, and ended up making the originals too big...these pinwheels were actually made with the scraps left over.  I also couldn't seem to remember NOT to sew down the middle, and so there is a definite learning curve!  I ended up making tiny pinwheels, with a 1 inch border between.  I also had to add a second border to make the pillow front big enough to fit the form.


The bottom red pinwheel faces the wrong direction, and got a little wonky.  This was really a "salvage my mistakes" project.  I tried using prairie points again, mostly so I could use some of my red, white, and blue scraps.  They are tiny...folded from 2.5 inch squares, and I caught the edges funny this time, so the corners are a bit buckled.    The finished pillow is 11 inches square.


The fabrics are a mix of  Moda, Aunt Grace, and other scraps I've picked up through the years.  I love the fun Uncle Sam hats especially.  I had to fancy cut this little kid with a flag for the banner.  Isn't he adorable?



We've had crazy weather this June, for which I am thankful.  I wilt when it gets above 82 degrees.  My flowers, however are starting to thrive.


Wishing you a wonderful weekend with your families.  We are planning on resting and recuperating.  Stay tuned next week.  My birthday is coming up, and I have a few giveaways in mind to celebrate.  It's either that or cry.  I didn't mind turning 30 at all.  Even 35 didn't phase me, but for some reason 36 is bothering me a bit.

Sharing with:
The Girl Creativesew many ways Keeping It SimpleSomewhat Simple

Itsy Bitsy Paper Red White and Blue Party

19 happy thoughts:

Impera Magna said...

Looks like you're almost reading for the 4th of July....

Sometimes, the odd birthdays hit harder than the round ones... I'll be 60 in August and I'm fine with it... but I'm already wondering how I'll feel about 61..

Meggie said...

WoW! Super job getting me into the PATRIOTIC state of mind! Happy early July 4th!

Melissa said...

I really like the pillow - sweet and whimsical...your a pup - I turn forty this fall...:)

Melissa said...

I should say you're...

Stephanie said...

Love the patriotic pillow and wreath. Ha! 36? Geez girl, love the moment and who you are, it goes by way faster than you think! Ask me I know, I passed 36 many moons ago and would die to be that age again! :)

Emily said...

This is really lovely! Where do you get your wreaths? I've never seen them so neat and tidy. Love it!

Erin said...

the banner wreath looks great with your red door!

Sara said...

seriously cute banner and pillow:):):):) You go on with your sewing awesomeness!!

Come see me over @ http://joyineverythingthruhim.blogspot.com

Carissa B said...

What a great wreath idea. I've been needing to come up with a summer wreath idea and I already have the exact same wreath form you do from dollar tree. I think I just need to pick up some bandanas or fat quarters (I don't have much of a fabric stash yet). I love how easy the pennant idea is...cut out and sew into some bias tape. Genius.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love your pillow - the fabrics you chose make me smile!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

The wreath is very cute and I absolutely love the pillow.
Amazing work...i would never have the patience.

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This project is fabulous! Thanks for leaving me totally inspired.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love the new wreath and pillow, Chris. Cute fabrics. You don't look a day over 29 :)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

36 - you're just a young chicken! I hope you have a wonderful Independence Day celebration. I hope things are okay and as always, I love your red front door and wreath, red, white and blue are just classic as is your pillow.
Enjoy the fireworks!

Jen @ My Own Road said...

I really love the pennants on your wreath! Adorable

Chef in Training said...

Love it! so cute! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi there... I am in awe of anyone who can sew. What you've done here is fabulous. I love your door wreath, especially on your red door!! I found you through The Creative Girl linky party and am your newest follower. Hope you check out my submission #296.

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

What a great wreath!

I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party that I'd love for you to join in on by adding your link!
http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Thank you so much for linking up to my Red, White and Blue Linky Party!

www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...