14 September 2011

Fall Pillow

Throughout this year, I've been playing with decorative pillows.  I started with a small pillow form (11" square), and have had so much fun making pillow covers to switch out with the seasons and holidays.


It's just the right size to add something new without being overwhelming.
You can see the other pillow covers for Valentine's, Spring, Summer, and Independence Day, too.  Each one I've tried a new technique.  Fall is no exception.  I was inspired by Allison @ Cluck, Cluck, Sew's fun pillow she blogged HERE.  It's been on my to do list for a while.  I have a thing for circles, so I opted for circle leaves.

I cut out a lot of circles which I'd previously adhered to some heat n bond light.  I also free-hand drew the trunk shape on to some brown fabric.


I thought the bottom of the pillow needed some color, so I added some green rolling hills under the trunk.


I recently acquired a darning/ free motion foot for my sewing machine, and thought this pillow would be a fun way to try it out.  I'm still not convinced I like it.  Here are some close ups of the stitching:


As I got going, I found some of my circles coming off!  Rats.  So, I added some additional stitching.

The back fabric is from Sandy Gervais's Gobble Gobble line.  I purchased it when I was making my Thanksgiving Countdown Calendar, and have been keeping it for just such an occasion.  :)

I've also changed out the little banner in my wreath and put up my fall-themed one.  Remember, it was the start of all my fun mini banners?


I LOVE the fall. The air is crisp in the mornings, the afternoon temperature pleasant, and the evening light is so golden and soft.  Hooray for September!

p.s.  I've finally started to prepare to stock my etsy shop with more than just patterns.  There might even be some mini pennant banners!

Sharing with Kojo DesignsCreation CornerTatertots and Jello, Be Different, Act NormalSew Many WaysFall Point of View at Gwenny Penny, and Someday Crafts Fall Linky.

Featured at Creation CornerOopsey Daisey, and Someday Crafts!

27 happy thoughts:

Unknown said...

your pillow is so pretty Chris! Circles are just about my favourite shape too so I'm loving your foliage!

Congrats about putting "things" in your Etsy shop. I hear diversifying is the way to go.

Have a great day!

Crafty Newbie said...

Very pretty! Great job! :)

Vanilla said...

I love the fall colors and the simple shapes!!!

Claudia Almandoz Gerbolini said...

I WANT ONE!!!!! I love fall, and this sort of sweet creation is one of the many reasons I´m so happy this time of year! By the way, my sweet Chris, I posted about you and your lovely blog about 2 minutes ago! Have a lovely day!!!!!! Clau

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love the pillow, Chris. I think the stitching looks great, especially on the trunk. I tried free-motion quilting once and quickly stopped. It was a complete failure. I think your first try looks fantastic.

ksolo59 said...

Yet another great and adorable idea. Love the colors in your circles! Can't wait to see the Christmas one!!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

So beautiful! I loved your preview and absolutely love the final pillow. It really is an heirloom that your kids will be fighting over.

Travel With Lulu said...

ADORABLE! Perfect for fall :)

chris said...

@ksolo59You know, I hadn't considered making a Christmas one because I already have some darling ones my mom made long ago. Perhaps I need to make my own! Something with a banner???

Caroline said...

I love that tree! You've inspired me to use my free-motion foot again.

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'm definitely pinning to try this myself.

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

I love this, I Pinned this I hoep you com elink this up to scrappy saturdays tomorrow, it's the perfect project!

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

Love the colours! I <3 fall projects!

Twigs and Twirls said...

Very cute.I really need to start making pillows myself. I am loving this pattern.

Monica said...

This turned out so cute! I have had about 4 pillow forms stuffed under my futon for a couple years - I really need to do something with them! I might give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

I hopped on over from TT&J's Link Party, and I LOVE this pillow idea! I definitely want to try this out--maybe make one for Fall and one for Summer. This is so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

http://mnarbaugh.blogspot.com

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I don't know a thing about quilting, but I think the stitching looks fabulous! I'm a sucker for anything with a tree, and the green on the bottom really brightens it up. Beautiful!

Jordan McCollum said...

Cute pillows! My mom did a pieced fall table runner on our blog this week that I'm thinking about doing to introduce some seasonal decor into our home.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This pillow is DARLING!! I just featured it on my blog today. Here is the link:

http://www.oopseydaisyblog.com/2011/09/wednesdays-wowzers-3.html

Thanks for inspiring!
~Alison

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

This pillow is fabulous, thank you for the inspiration!

Andy said...

Love the pillow! I would make one of my own, but then I'd have to admit that it is Autumn. Not ready yet. :)

Unknown said...

That is one beautiful pillow! YOu did a great job. I amf eaturing it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Diane said...

Great job!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I adore this pillow- and you know I love me a good pillow. ;) I will be featuring it this week.
xoxo,
Amy

Emily said...

Love the colors and shapes!

Natalie Cannon said...

I love all your pillows, but this tree is my favorite! Thanks for sharing.

Christine L said...

Thank you for the inspiration... I made my own version of this happy Tree pillow.. We are having a Shape Challenge in my Guild, and your Happy Tree inspired me to make my own. THANK YOU! I'll definitely send credit for inspiration your way!! Hugs and Happy Quilting!

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...