22 February 2010

Simple Fabric Covered Monogram


So I ran across this neat idea a while ago. Larissa at mmmmcrafts shared a great tutorial to make fabric covered letters. I was reminded of it last week, as my kids slammed the door and my favorite wooden "P" came crashing down on the floor. I decided it was high time I made something that won't ding the floor or get chipped.  So I made one, with a few changes.

Here's how I did it. Consider this a mini tutorial.
I used cardboard, a piece of felt, fabric, small piping, tacky glue, and hot glue.
I first cut a cardboard letter "P", and then cut a second one. I made a small black piping to go on the outline of the letter, and glued it to the outside of the first "P", with the P facing the right way.
 

I trimmed the felt to cover the outside of the outer "P" and glued it into place.  I thought the felt might give the monogram a little more dimension. 

I then cut my fabric to cover the second "P". Don't make the mistake I did...be sure your letter is wrong side up on the wrong side of the fabric!   I cut the fabric about 1/2 an inch beyond the edges of the letter.  I also cut into the curves, like Larissa showed, and then glued the fabric to the back of the letter.  I worked on opposite sides at a time so as to pull the fabric tight.  TIP:  If you are using tacky glue, which works best with fabric, use dots of hot glue to hold things in place as the tacky glue dries.  If you use too much hot glue, things get too bulky.
 
As I worked, I would flip the letter over to make sure the fabric was pulling tight enough.  Don't be afraid to cut deep into the corners to be sure they are well defined.  
Lastly, I glued the top "P" to the bottom "P" so that the piping just shows around the edges.  I did this with the hot glue, working quickly.   
 

This is how it turned out, closer up.  

I love it.  Next project for this wall, making silhouettes of my kiddos to go around the monogram.  Two more weeks until graduation...and more time to craft!  



I'm linking up with The Girl Creative and Today's Creative Blog and Somewhat Simple.

5 happy thoughts:

Six in One Hand said...

Your monogram turned out lovely!
I could definitely see that in a really bold print for a pop of color.
Thanks for the inspiration!!!

chris said...

Thanks for the compliment. It was a fun, quick project...and had to be done!

Kimberly said...

It's so fun! And looks like it's easy enough. Going to have to give it a try!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Very creative!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a neat idea...luv monongrams...thanks so much for sharing!

Blessings,
Linda

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...