16 July 2009
Here is the blanket I created for Craft Hope. I am happy to say I was able to put it together with things I found in my stash. The quilt blocks were 4.5" flannel squares. After piecing the top, I attached a second piece of flannel for an inner layer, and basted the two together. I made the ruffle by ironing the fabric (a soft pink polyester which will be fun to play with) in half and gathering by sewing a long straight stitch and gently pulling by hand. I then basted the ruffle to the blankie top. Since the ruffle fabric liked to fray, I zigzag stitched it to the blanket. Next, I cut a back from a super soft old sheet, and sewed it right sides together to the top, leaving about a 5 inch gap to turn the blanket. After it was turned, I hand stitched the opening closed, and then finished everything with top stitching. I sewed around the whole blanket edge. Finally I sewed down the center of each square, making lines down the blanket to quilt all three layers together. I think it turned out better than I imagined. I just keep picturing a sweet little dark haired cutie snuggled inside and I get teary as I sew.
Labels: My Creativity