Well, the business of house building has officially set in. I am sore and tired, and we still don't even have the lumber yet!
The foundation walls were finally poured last Tuesday, and with Thanksgiving last week, the forms were not removed until Monday. Being of the DIY sort, and building our house as inexpensively as possible means we're doing most of the work ourselves. Case in point, adding water resistant emulsion to the foundation.
In order to paint the foundation, we first removed the metal tie rings that were still attached to the walls. Then, I swept the footings clean. Next, the hard work of applying the emulsion began. What exactly is in the emulsion, I'm not sure. It is a sticky tar-like substance, applied to the concrete with brushes and rollers. Monday Mr. Pickup and I applied emulsion to the back and east walls, but were unable to finish because there were still forms in the way. Tuesday, I returned, and finished applying all that black stuff...by myself.
Total time: 2.5 hours Monday, 4.5 hours Tuesday. Be warned. Do not wear anything you want to wear again. This stuff does not come off clothing, or even skin very well.
I even got splatters on my face, hair, and glasses. Hazards of the job, I guess. Here I am in my "Harry Potter" glasses, as Dolly calls them. After I took this photo, I picked up some help since school was out.
I'm happy to report with Big Sister's help we got the job done. We start framing this weekend. Woot!