14 July 2011

Snow White Dress, which almost didn't have a happy ending!


When I cut out the fabric for Big Sister's new Jump Rope Dress, I also cut out a dress for Baby using more of my winnings.  I used the Puppet Show Pattern, which I've used previously, only cutting it in dress length.  While the red dress was a breeze to put together, I had nothing but problems putting together the Snow White Dress, as I call it.  (Don't the colors kind of remind you of Snow White?)

Before I tell you the happily ever after, I have to show you what I goofed on.  Let this be a cautionary tale to all of us.  I like to use pinking shears to finish my seams.  It's quick, saves thread, and very inexpensive.  However, when cutting through multiple layers of fabric, it's difficult to tell how many layers you are actually cutting through. So, after finally getting the sleeves in place (after already taking off the cuff and re-positioning!), I went to finish the seams.  I CUT THROUGH THE SLEEVE!!!!


Yes, I cut through the sleeve.  I almost cried.  There was nothing to do but pick out the sleeve, and make a new one.


There was the issue of already having trimmed the sleeve allowance.  So, to attempt to match the sleeves, I trimmed the new sleeve before reconstructing.


I then followed the previous sewing marks to make sure all was in the same place.


I got the first sleeve redone, and the cuffs did not match.  So, I also remade the other sleeve so that they would match.  Aggravated along with me yet?  I'm not done with my woeful story.

To finish the dress, the bodice lining had to be folded and ironed properly, then topstitched to the bodice.  I did so, missing several places.  The bodice was very bunchy.  I apologize for not documenting this as well.  I could not leave the dress in such a state.  I fix the issues, I  picked out all the topstitching, carefully basted the bodice together in several places, and hand sewed the bodice lining.


Once hand sewn, I resewed the topstitching.


After I had the MANY button holes sewed, and buttons hand stitched in place, I made a fabric flower pin just to settle my feelings.  I used the same fabric in Sister's dress, and added a wool felt leaf for good measure.


It would have been easy to get frustrated and throw the dress in the mending box.  However, I conquered.


Happily, Baby loves her new dress, as do I.

The End.


Sharing with Freckled Laundry, KoJo DesignsJust a Girl, and Tatertots and Jello.

6 happy thoughts:

Impera_Magna said...

That stuff happens to all of us... kudos to you for persevering and having a darling dress for your little one!

Tasha said...

It is so darling...and yes it does remind me of Snow White. I would have wanted to cry too if I cut into the sleeve! I am glad it did work out in the end.

Deborah in Atlanta said...

And they lived happily ever after.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oh no!!! You poor thing! How annoying for you. But WELL DONE for carrying on!! And what a fab result!!

Sarahx

Stephanie said...

Welcome to my world of sewing! LOL I do stuff like that all the time, that is why I hate to sew only if I have to. Love, love the dress, so cute!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

This is so pretty!!! I love it, great job :)

Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...