I'm really happy with mine. Here are a few things I wanted to share about how I made my dress that I hope will help you, too.
First of all, I made a muslin. I debated showing this photo, but here it is.
I used a thrifted sheet to make a trial version of the dress. I am really glad I did, because the size 14 was too tight in the chest area. Also, I realized that it was too short for my liking. So, I made a few changes. I went up two sizes...gasp....and added two inches to the length of the dress on pattern pieces 1,3,and 5.
The dress ended up being too big in a few spots.. (yes!)
So, I took in the side seams, and long the seams at the yoke.
Second, I decided to embroider the yoke and neckband because I had a hard time finding a fabric that went with the main fabric of my dress. I used THIS tutorial for the circles and also French knots, similar to THIS tutorial. I've inspired by all the pretty things that Katy does with clothing.
Third, I made a contrast band for the bottom of my dress. Even with adding two inches to the bottom, it was still shorter than I'm used to, and I didn't want to lose the added length. Essentially, I cut two long bands of fabric just longer than the width of my dress, 5 inches wide. Then, with the band cut side up, cut a diagonal that is just opposite of the slope of the skirt. Here's a short picture tutorial to help you see what I mean:
If you need a more detailed version, let me know. I used the basic method in the Oliver + S Lazy Days Skirt.
|Me and my girls on Easter Sunday...my boy took the picture. :)|
Next Friday Gwen and I will share YOUR creations. Be sure to upload all the fun things you're making into the Flickr Group!
Sharing with Creation Corner, Freckled Laundry, Tatertots and Jello, Today's Top 20, and Be Different Act Normal.