22 February 2011

More Living Room Decor

I couldn't very well stop at pillows could I?


Decor balls are all over the blogosphere, and I thought having a few would be fun. I also wanted to play with fabric dye. So, I did something crazy. I dyed cotton twine. Still on the cone. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it worked in a convoluted way.   Ever since I saw Katy Dill playing with fabric dye, I've wanted to try it.  So, this was my first baby step.



Lesson learned.  Don't dye string on the cone.  The cone eventually falls apart, it's hard to get the dye to the center, and you end up with a tangled mess.  I salvaged most of it.  Then,  it took forever to dry.  I may or may not have thrown it into the dryer at one point (and got it even more tangled).


Once I did have a lovely dry twine, it was a simple matter to hot glue it to a styrofoam ball.  I had the string on hand, the dye was less than $2, and the balls were 2/$1 at the dollar store.  So, a fairly cheap learning experience with satisfying results. By the way, don't ever try to take anything back to the dollar store.  Trust me.

It wouldn't be a Chris project if I couldn't sew something.  I used Grand Revivals' Ball Pattern.  I've used it once before when we made balls for Craft Hope during the summer of 2009.  For this ball, I used the middle size.  I got it all sewn together and stuffed, and it was REALLY lopsided.


I decided the best way to handle it would be to work with the lopsidedness and tuft the ball.  I used two vintage pearl buttons from my great-grandmother's stash, and couldn't be happier with the result.  I only wish that I had longer needles.  I poked myself several times trying to squish the ball flat enough so I could get the needle through the other side.  (It also conveniently covers up where the seams didn't quite match up!)


So here's everything all put together, pillows and all.  The sun poked its head out finally!  It's still a darker room, since it faces north.



I am hoping to stencil the wall next to the bookshelf and by the entry.  I'd love to slipcover the loveseat in this little room.  I might have a hard time convincing my  husband that it's necessary, however.

Sharing with Blue Cricket Design, Someday Crafts, and Dragonfly Designs.

16 happy thoughts:

celeste said...

lovely, chris.

i like the big check pattern on your chairs.

Anne Magee said...

Very cute! Inspired to make something like this for my dining room! Love the yellow you chose!

chris said...

@Anne MageeThanks, Anne. The yellow is Rit's Golden Yellow. I'm a fan.

Unknown said...

Great recovery with tufting the ball. I think it looks much classier!

chris said...

@celesteFunny thing about those chairs. The hubs and I recovered them right after we were married...and I was pretty sick of it for a while. I'm coming around to liking them again.

Caroline said...

Great ideas, all of them!

Stephanie said...

Chris you crack me up! The twine dying learning experience was hysterical. I must say though, your color turned out stunning. Love the fabrics you used, yes, it just won't be a complete post if you didn't sew something.

Unknown said...

i haven't dyed a cone of cotton but I have done a ball. like you, when I sort of put it in the dryer (only sort of) it came out tangled mess and was a bit of a challenge to de-mess! oh well, live and learn, eh?

your little cushion is great and so are your sun-yellow balls, btw!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love the two different mediums together in the same display... fabric & twine. Beautiful color combination.

Homemade Heather said...

I never would have thought of fabric! And LOVE your pillow! Thanks for sharing ~ come by and say hi sometime!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

The yellow looks amazing! What a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm your newest follower!

I have a great Dove chocolate giveaway going on right now and would love if stopped by and entered: http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2011/02/dove-chocolate-discoveries-giveaway.html

~Katie @ Eye Spy DIY

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

love the twine! and the chair with the pillow!

Lei said...

So cute Chris. Love that chair, too... I need one for a photography prop!!! Also - thanks for saying hi today over at She Wears Flowers!!!

Sachiko said...

I love those balls! The colors add brightness to the room!

chris said...

@SachikoThank you for stopping by! I agree. I love the sunshiny yellow.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Oh how I love that sunny yellow! Great vignette and completely agree with Celeste's comment, the gingham check chair is wonderful and welcoming.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...