I couldn't very well stop at pillows could I?
Decor balls are all over the blogosphere, and I thought having a few would be fun. I also wanted to play with fabric dye. So, I did something crazy. I dyed cotton twine. Still on the cone. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it worked in a convoluted way. Ever since I saw Katy Dill playing with fabric dye, I've wanted to try it. So, this was my first baby step.
Once I did have a lovely dry twine, it was a simple matter to hot glue it to a styrofoam ball. I had the string on hand, the dye was less than $2, and the balls were 2/$1 at the dollar store. So, a fairly cheap learning experience with satisfying results. By the way, don't ever try to take anything back to the dollar store. Trust me.
It wouldn't be a Chris project if I couldn't sew something. I used Grand Revivals' Ball Pattern. I've used it once before when we made balls for Craft Hope during the summer of 2009. For this ball, I used the middle size. I got it all sewn together and stuffed, and it was REALLY lopsided.
I decided the best way to handle it would be to work with the lopsidedness and tuft the ball. I used two vintage pearl buttons from my great-grandmother's stash, and couldn't be happier with the result. I only wish that I had longer needles. I poked myself several times trying to squish the ball flat enough so I could get the needle through the other side. (It also conveniently covers up where the seams didn't quite match up!)
So here's everything all put together, pillows and all. The sun poked its head out finally! It's still a darker room, since it faces north.
I am hoping to stencil the wall next to the bookshelf and by the entry. I'd love to slipcover the loveseat in this little room. I might have a hard time convincing my husband that it's necessary, however.
Sharing with Blue Cricket Design, Someday Crafts, and Dragonfly Designs.