I wanted to show off the pajamas my kiddos opened up Christmas Eve.
First up, for Big Brother, I altered a pair of his dad's flannels for him. I realized that all of a sudden, he's growing up and not into robot themed fabric.
Using a pair of his jeans as a guide, I cut the outer and inner seams to match the jeans (with seam allowance.) Since the elastic was sewn in, all I had to do was resew the leg seams, and add a new hem. Simple refashion. I later found a t-shirt on clearance that was the perfect match.
Last summer when fabric.com was having their Westminster fabric blow out, I purchased the floral fabrics and cute robot design (all designed by David Walker). I later snagged some coordinating flannel. For my little kiddos, I used McCall's #M4643. I was in a hurry, and picked it out because it called for all woven fabric. I haven't gotten over my knit fabric scare quite yet. I love the ruffle hems on the girly version, made with the main fabric for Big Sister's pjs.
This pattern ran really big, (disappointment #1), and I didn't realize at first that the shoulder seams close with velcro (disappointment #2). I ran out of time, and had to use what I had, so I went ahead and made them as the pattern described. I think if I try it again, I'll close one shoulder, and add buttons instead to the other. Thankfully my kids don't mind much. I also (being in a hurry) didn't pay attention to the direction of the fabric, and the robots are upside down. At least he can look down and they are right side up. Hopefully next Christmas we won't have recently moved. On the positive, the pattern does also include a cute robe. Maybe I'll try some later on.
For big Sis, I used McCall's 5744. I actually really liked this design with the wrap front. Next time, I will be making the top a little higher, and add a little circle of velcro to keep things closed. I modified the front seam slightly so that the seam where the upper bodice and lower bodice meet is encased completely in the bias tape, so there are no unfinished seams on the inside. This pattern also has a nightgown version which I will be making this summer. The bias tape was made with the main fabric in Baby's.
It was a lot of work, with mixed results this year. Maybe next year I'll not worry about making pajamas and try to find some on sale.
Polly Want A Crafter, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, and Blue Cricket Design.