27 May 2010

Simple Bow Non-Slip Clippies Tutorial

I was lucky enough to have this featured on Blue Cricket.  Now I can also share it with my readers! 

Today I'd like to show you how to make some fun fabric hair bows using alligator clips and felt.  I loved the felt snap clips, but my baby hated having them snap on her head.  This is my solution.
Gather your materials.
  • 2.5" Fabric scraps about 10" long.
  • Coordinating felt scraps about 4" by 3" long.
  • Matching thread
  • Double prong alligator clips, like what you can find at Sally Beauty Supply
  • Glue Gun
  • Cutting tools (I prefer my rotary cutter and ruler, but scissors are fine.)
  • Sewing machine and hand needle
  • Seam ripper...one of my favorite tools!

Let's get started!



Step One, Prepare your fabric strip.
First, sew your 2.5" fabric strip into a tube by folding it in half long-ways, right sides together. Use a 1//4" seam.
Turn your tube right side out using a safety pin as a guide.
 Step 2, Prepare your felt pieces.
Step Three,  Cut your fabric to length.
Step Four, Sew the bow to the felt.
Center the felt on the right side of the fabric.  
Be sure to trim all your threads as you go.
Step 5.  Hand sew the small felt piece to the bow. 
Use your nicest, smallest straight stitch to sew the smaller piece of felt to the one already attached to the bow. If you'd like, you could also use a blanket stitch.
Step 6, Insert the alligator clip.
Pull out your glue gun.
Step 7, Secure the bow center.

I hope you enjoy making these hair bows.  They go together so easily, you'll want to make some for every outfit.

Featured on One Pretty Thing.

Linking up to Those Northern Skies, A Few of My Favorite Things, and Under the Table and Dreaming and KoJo Designs, Tatertots and Jello, Along for the Ride, and The Girl Creative.

And Kimbo's Hair Crap Party.

9 happy thoughts:

Life in Rehab said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for popping by my blog and leaving such a nice note. There are actual crafts over there too, I promise. It isn't all drywall and spackle!

Adorable hair bow you made there, but not as cute as your model!

Elder Esplin said...

How cute! I need to make some of these for my girlie! Thanks for such a fun idea!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Melissa said...

So sweet for the wee ones...I don't have wee ones but my sis does!! :)

Thanks for joining my party!!

CraftyMummy said...

Just popped over from Under the Tables and Dreaming...

These are so cute!! Thanks for sharing

Diane said...

What a cute idea for a bow. I love it.

I came here via Weekend Wrapup Party. Drop by and see me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.

Caroline said...

I love this. It is so simple and sweet. I must remember to pick up some alligator clips next time I'm at the store.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is the cutest little bow! Love the plaid. Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Yycien Adams said...

Those hair clips are really cute! I need something pretty for my niece's hair and I think these will be perfect! Thank you for the tutorial.

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Very nice tutorial! And such a sweet little bow. Wonderful colors and not over done. Thanks for sharing ... and for posting a link. Please visit again!

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...