28 December 2009

Easy Peasy Wall Art

We've been busy around our house.  After Christmas means cleaning closets, sorting toys and donating unused but usable toys to charity, and general reorganizing.  Saturday, I took down all of our hall pictures, puttied holes, and touched up the paint.  With a blank canvas, I completely rearranged our family photos.  One project I've wanted to do forever, I finally was able to do today: add some lettering under my children's photos.  Last Christmas I saw THIS on Abby's blog.  (Scroll down, look at the photo with her children and their stockings).  I wanted to do something similar, but knew vinyl lettering wouldn't work well with my textured walls.  Then, last summer I found HomeSpun Thread's Tutorial for Wall Lettering, and the result is what you see above.

I went to my favorite free font site,  Font Squirrel, and found a simple modern looking font...Quicksand Lite.  I printed the words the size I wanted (200 point), used my laser level to make sure it was straight and measured where center to place the letters correctly.  Then used the transfer method in the tutorial.
First, I put the words where I wanted them using painter's masking tape, and made a few adjustments. 
Then, I colored the BACK of the paper with pencil...I just stayed close to where the letters were.
Then, with the paper taped to the wall, I traced each letter with a blunt pencil that had lost it's lead.  After everything was traced, I mixed a little black craft paint mixed and glossy varnish on a paper plate so it was easy to carry.  I set up my stool and carefully painted each letter with my smallest brush. 


I am so excited with the result.  Just what I was hoping for...simple, effective, and a great reminder of what a blessing my children are each time I come out of my bedroom.


5 happy thoughts:

Aimee Larsen said...

that's so sweet! Thanks for letting me know you used the tutorial. I knew someone would put it to use. :)

Unknown said...

I love that you shared this. I paint murals and for years have used graphite transfer paper to transfer my art images. I paint a smaller rendering, take to a blueprint copier to blow up to the size I want, then transfer the design. It's so much easier than an overhead projector. Thanks for sharing this!

Joyeful said...

The words look so good beneath their photos! I really love your blog header, too! The vintage polaroid look is a favorite of mine!

Niki Jolene said...

It turned out great! I envy your skill and patience. I think I am a little too shaky to pull this off, but it looks great.

Love your blog, too. Stop by and visit me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

Unknown said...

Hello! Thanks for linking up to the Weekend Word Search this month. I featured this project today.
Stop by and grab a featured button. http://bit.ly/9T4aqv

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...