31 July 2009

Grosgrain Ribbon Belt Tutorial

Welcome to my first tutorial. I saw a cute grosgrain ribbon belt and thought, I can do that. Now, you can too!

First, gather your materials:


You'll need:
1. Heat & Bond Lite 7/8" strip, 2. Your choice of 1" grosgrain ribbon, 3. Thread, 4. Two (2) 1" metal D-rings, and 5. Measuring Tape, Scissors, Iron, Seam Ripper, and Sewing Machine.

Figure out how long you want your belt. I measured my daughter's waist, and added 5 inches, for a total of 28.5". You may want to make yours a little longer.


Now, measure and cut two pieces of ribbon and one strip of heat & bond to your desired length.


Iron the heat & bond to one piece of ribbon.


Peel the paper backing, and bond the two pieces of ribbon by ironing together.


Topstitch each side of the bonded ribbons about 1/8" away from the edge.

Iron down one ribbon end 1/4". Fold over another 1/4" and then sew the end down, double stitching to hold it down.



Now comes the "tricky" part. On the other end of the ribbon, iron down 1/4" in the opposite direction that you sewed the first end. Slip on the two D-rings, and fold over the ribbon just under 1". Sew a small square that holds down the 1/4" portion. I used the zipper foot on my machine to make sewing around the D-rings easier.


Your finished seam should look like this:


Way to go! You've created a cute belt.

Let me know what you think. Email me! burleyaudio at gmail dot com

UPDATE:
Tonight my 3 year old son begged me to make him a belt. Here he is modeling it:

A couple of hints: If you arrange the ribbon just off (1/4") on each end where you fold it in, it makes things a little less bulky. Also, cutting the heat & bond a little shorter (about 1") than the ribbon also helps in the folding and sewing of the ends. Good luck making your own cute belt.

Featured on Totally Tutorials, and One Pretty Thing.  

4 happy thoughts:

Connie Wilcox said...

You're awesome! Nice photos and instructions!

chris said...

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you stopped by.

duckyhouse said...

What a great tutorial !

The Bargain Hunting Mom said...

Very Cute!!! I can make an expensive belt for every outfit!!

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...