13 September 2012

DIY Lettering Design

About a month ago (right after the diabetes/dead computer fiasco), a cute reader asked if I'd design some capital letters to compliment my Modern Letter Applique Design.


It took me a few days this week to pull it all together, but here's peek into how I design my letters.
First step, determine the size of the letters.  I used my original designs as a template.  The letters are 3" by 1.75" wide (with the exceptions of "M" and "W", they are 3" by 2.75").  The width of each letter part is approximately 5/16".


Next, with a pencil and clear grid ruler, mark these sizes in a grid on the paper.  Also, mark the middle of each rectangle on the grid.


Using some freehand drawing and also using my ruler, I drew my designs so that they fit in the boxes.

Then, I traced the "keeper" lines with a black pen.

I wanted to make my designs easy to trace, and reversed for ease of applique, so I made a DIY lightbox (thank you, pinterest) (update...found the pin, and updated the link HERE), and traced my designs to the current state I've uploaded for your use.


Once I scanned the designs, I did a little editing using Microsoft Paint.  Then, to make it a cohesive PDF, I used Microsoft Publisher.


Finally, I uploaded the pdf to Google Drive.  So, without further ado, here is the file you've been waiting for:

DOWNLOAD MODERN CAPITAL LETTERS HERE.

Just in case you needed it, here are:
Modern Letters (all lower case)
Modern Numbers 

Enjoy!  I hope these new letter designs inspire you to create a fun banner, a Christmas Stocking, or anything else you fancy.

Sharing with Tatertots and Jello, and Southern Institute.

8 happy thoughts:

Marjorie said...

Very cool! I didn't know about Google Drive...thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Wow - you are amazing!! Like that lightbox idea too.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Thank you, Chris! That's so lovely and generous of you! You must have worked so hard on that lettering. I really like it - plain and elegant!

Sarahx

Joy said...

Very kind of you to share... thank you... and I LOVE the lightbox... I can do that. :)

VickiT said...

What great letters. LOVE the lightbox idea.

I am getting an error for the modern numbers link saying I need permission.
Can you please check that one? The other two downloaded easily.

Thank you very much

Unknown said...

Those letters are great Chris! Thanks for sharing all this lovely info about design as well!

Make Do and Create said...

The lightbox idea is interesting. If I ever need one I might try something like that!

And...I'm sorry, but is the q backwards on the lowercase letters? Well not backwards and therefore backwards.

chris said...

@Make Do and CreateIt is entirely possible. :) I am known to make a mistake or two.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...