21 May 2012

Playing with Pom Poms

Wow, I didn't mean to disappear for a week like that!  It's been a crazy week.  We set the goal of being ready for paint by last Saturday...which meant late nights and lots of extra time at the house.  Good news...we made our self-imposed deadline.  Bad news...the blog suffered a bit.  I hope you'll understand.  I thought today I'd show you a fun take on making little pom poms.


I volunteered to help with my oldest son's spring party in April.  It was a challenge to come up with fun stuff a 5th grade boy would want to do.  I saw Makes and Takes Angry Bird Pom Poms, and thought they would be fun.  However, the pom pom tutorial she referenced would not work well with 5th graders!  So, I did some exploring, and found these darling mini pom poms made with forks.   Since the bird was small, and the pig needed to be bigger, I came up with a novel solution (I think!), a cardboard "fork".  



I cut cardboard into a 2" by 3" rectangle, with the middle cut out, and then glued them together for strength.


It took some weight to keep them together until the glue dried.


I created little faces in the paint program that comes with windows, and printed them out on cardstock.  The kids wound the yard about 50 times around the fork or cardboard, tied a longer string really tight on around the bundle, and then trimmed the loops and gave the poms a hair cut.  (I'd already pre-cut lengths of yard for each kid.)


We then glued the faces on and created out poms.


This was the kit I took to school.


It was a little challenging to help the kids, but we divided the class into three stations.  One group decorated cookies, another played a game, and the third group made pom pom Angry Birds.  I was so pleased with how things went, and my son was happy with how the party went.  Win for mom!  :)

As I was experimenting before I took the project to school, I played with cotton twine as another way to make a pom pom.


I think they just might be my new favorite thing.  The texture!  I think it would be fun to make a bunch of these and die them different colors and hang them on a string for a decoration...or just leave them au naturale.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  I'm off to continue priming the rest of our house.  The goal this week is the completely paint the house and be ready to install cabinets next week.  Eeek!

6 happy thoughts:

Impera Magna said...

Of course your blog will take a back seat to the most important thing in your life right now: getting your new house finished so you can MOVE IN!!! Your faithful followers will be here when you have time...

Cool Angry Bird pompoms but I'm loving those you make with the string!!!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

So cute! what a great crafty activity for both boys and girls. The cardboard fork is an excellent idea. I hope the work on your interior goes smoothly. I look forward to seeing the next status report when you have time - your arms must ache, what a labour of love.

Melissa said...

Oooh you are right - the texture on the cotton twin pom poms is very, very cool.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

This is a great idea -and the yarn you chose is lovely. I love texture but I would never have thought to use this for pompoms. I love your creativity, Chris. You're vv talented!

Sarahx

Unknown said...

Those cotton poms are brilliant!

Um ya. The blog comes in second at this point. I know I've been SO neglecting all things computer lately. Sometimes it's just not as important as other things. So, don't sweat it AT ALL. :)

Craft and Creativity said...

Haha, that's SO CUTE! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...