Once those inspections were complete, we had the insulation company come do their thing, and we were ready for drywall.
Insulation is an interesting process to watch. Different walls have different needs, and so there is a variety of insulating materials in the house. Hopefully it will mean a snug and warm, energy-efficient space.
The main part of the house is filled with wet-sprayed cellulose, made from recycled paper. Above the walls where the vaulted ceiling is, there are R-30 fiberglass batts backed with plastic.
Every hole was filled with spray foam.
Downstairs, the rim joists were sprayed with foam, and the skinny walls with foam boards. The rest of the basement has fiberglass batts.
While the house was insulated, our well was drilled, and the water pump installed. Once those were complete, we also added a drain for our water-source heat pump. Mr. Pickup was able to use our friend's backhoe to dig the trench and pit.
The water-source heat pump is a geothermal heat pump which uses water from our well, and then sends it through the drain and pit back to the aquifer. Pretty neat, and a great way to heat and cool our house.
There is 10 yards of rock in the pit to help the water drain quickly.
While we've been working outside, the dry wall has been going up quickly. It changes how the house feels so much. Monday the drywall was delivered, and the bedrooms and hall were hung.
Yesterday, they finished most of the rest of the house, and today they'll finish up the garage.
I'm so glad we didn't have to hang the drywall on that vaulted ceiling! The pantry turned out nice, I think.
Here's the entry and part of the closet.
So that's my update. By next weekend, we'll be able to begin my favorite part...making the house look like a home. We'll begin installing the finish work, including casings, baseboard and closet shelving. Then comes paint, and cabinets, floors, and lights and plumbing...oh, and the siding outside too. The finish line is almost in view.