It's official! We have windows. I love how they turned out. I was hoping for a Craftsman style look, and they are perfect.
Mr. Pickup and I installed a few along the back and in the basement last Thursday, and then recruited some help to put in the larger ones and finished things up on Saturday.
It was awfully frosty cold, but at least the weather was clear.
Here's the house at the end of the day. Now we just need some doors.
I was really pleased with how well the basement windows went in. Once caulked, they look like they are seamlessly apart of the window opening.
The front windows have a craftsman window grid pattern of six panes over one. I wish we could have done all the windows, but that was a little too much for the budget.
To install the windows, we had to prep the outer house with wrap, and then caulk around the opening. The window is then set in the opening and adjusted from the bottom with shims to make sure it is level, square and plum. Then, we used screws to fasten the window in place, and then added ice and water shield (the black layer) for additional water proofing.
The front windows for the great room are my favorite. They are three windows mulled together. (More energy efficient that way). I still love the view they frame, too.
One really neat feature are the grids in the windows. They are sculptured to look more like a divided window, although it is really a single pane.
Here's the dining area, looking into the laundry room.
This week, we're framing the walls that have to meet up with the vaulted trusses, and finishing up framing in the basement so that we can be ready for the plumber and the HVAC guys to rough in the pipes and duct work, and for us to begin installing the electrical system. Now that the house is dried in, things should really start to speed up. Hopefully we'll be ready for insulation be mid March.