and thought it would make a great Hedwig costume. I shared a preview of my version on my blog's facebook page...and here is the final result.
Wondering how I did it? Me too. Just kidding. :) I found a free fleece hat pattern HERE. I adjusted the top of the hat to be a bit more square, and designed two little "ears" for the top. I lined the hat with white fleece. The owl face I just drew up, and appliqued on before I assembled the hat. I googled snowy owl images for some inspiration.
For the cape, I actually laid my daughter on the fabric and drew a wing shape. I then cut it out in both white and gray fleece, and also cut out a collar shape in both fabrics based on one of her shirts. I sewed the two pieces together along the outside edge. Next, I sewed some feather shapes into the fabric.
I finally sewed the top of the wing cape together and inserted it into the collar (which ties with grosgrain ribbon.) I only purchased a half yard of gray fleece, and had the white fleece on hand from our cloth diaper days...so total cost for the costume was about $3.
When the older children got home, they all wanted to try on Dolly's costume. I might have to make some more fleece owl hats this winter.
In the meantime, we have a fun new addition to our dress-up clothes.
My little owl couldn't be happier. Next up, the Hogwarts robes!
Sharing with Sew Much Ado, Someday Crafts, Tea Rose Home, and The Train to Crazy.