07 September 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday

I have begun my magnum opus.  Magnum opus is Latin for "great work".  I usually tackle things that take me a couple days at most, and this quilt is going to take months...especially as we begin building our house.


I'm following the Random Reflections Pattern by Karrie Lynn at Freckled Whimsy.  I have been collecting fabrics for months in anticipation of making  a quilt for our family room.  I just didn't realize we would be moving this year!

I thought I'd share a preview and jot down the fabrics before I forget what they are.  My color inspiration is our Greg Olson Print of Oh Jerusalem.

via gregsolson.com
I purchased this print when it was first released, which happened to be the spring after I had returned from studying abroad in Israel.  It is such a perfect representation of the view from the Mount of Olives, and a lovely picture of the Savior.  Despite my meager college income at the time, I purchased it, carefully preserving it for "someday".  Several years later, after Mr. Pickup and I were married and moving into our first house, my parents had it framed for us.  I adore this picture.  It will be the inspiration for the colors in our new home, too.

I grouped the fabrics I chose into four "colorways".


Fabrics featured:

Fabrics featured:


Additional fabric:

I've used HB Freshcut fabrics in each square, and then built the other colors around it. I had fun putting together all the different combinations.  I really wanted it to be harmonious, but not too matchy-matchy as a quilt would have been from just one fabric line.  Call me stubborn.

I still have another round of strips to piece and cut, and then I'll begin sewing the quilt squares together.  I have some fun flannels I'll be piecing together for the back, and may add a few more pieced squares also.  I'm toying around with embroidering important quotes and scriptures in white on the ivory pieces.  Too much?  I'm not sure.

What projects do you have going on the hopper?

 Sharing with Creation Corner, and Freckled Laundry.

13 happy thoughts:

Andy said...

Love all of those fabrics! It will be a gorgeous quilt and I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

What a beautiful collection of fabrics, Chris. I hear you on the big projects... I tend to shy away from them, too. Hence, I haven't started the two little quilts I said I was going to get done this summer. Can't wait to see your progress on this.

Tiffany said...

Loving the fabrics, not too matchy matchy but all complimentary, perfect. That it actually quite difficult to do criss crossing designers, but definitely noticeable.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I know it is going to be beautiful. I remember my first visit to the Mt. of Olives. I had been waiting years (well over 3 decades) to see it and it lived up to everything I imagined. Your project will be perfect for your new home. I love how you have been collecting all of the fabric pieces with this project in mind - it makes it all the more special.

Unknown said...

Ah, a quilt for you too! I like that your calling it your "magnum opus" because that is certainly what a quilt feels like to me. Your colours are "divine"! (Sorry I hope that joke isn't in bad taste). I think quotations would be great but would definitely depend upon how much white space you have...

My latest quilt hasn't been touched for a good week now and this post is a great reminder that I have to get back to it very soon. Thanks Chris!

Diana said...

Oh! What lovely colors!!!! I can't wait to see it finished. The quilt and the house inspired by the colors :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

It's looking great already! I love, as always, your neat cutting out and attention to detail. Well, I say 'love', I mean 'am jealous of'!! But I guess you knew that!!! Ha!

I'm going to put up your lovely guest post in the next few days. I'll email you to let you know the actual date.

Now my kiddiewinks have finished their summer holidays, I'm going to be able to get down to some crafting again so your post will fit in well, rather than being a bolt from the blue!!

Sarahx

Unknown said...

The fabric choices are gorgeous. I'm not yet ready to tackle a big project like a quilt. Maybe one day...

Unknown said...

Looks like it's shaping up to be gorgeous. You ALWAYS choose the coolest textiles...and I love your inspiration print. I have so many projects in the hopper that I can't even see straight. Bags, rag quilts for the twins made from their baby clothes, hair pins, home stuff. Hello adult ADHD.

Claudia Almandoz Gerbolini said...

This is beautiful! I love long projects that obligate the heart to get involved (and put our true dedication and patience to the test!). I love the way you always seem to be around... I wanna write a post about "Why Chris is So Lovely" Is that crazy?.... I am though. Crazy. But my hearts bigger than my crazy. I´ll tell you when I post about you and all the reasons why I think you are adorable... Have a beautiful day mi querida Chris! Clau

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

I can't wait to see this finished, it's going to be stunning!

Bridgieaggie06 said...

Awesome! It almost inspires me to start my first quilt! I'm still terrified to take that on!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi lovely,

Just in case you didn't get my email, your post is up today on Modern Country Style!

Sarahx

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...