Last spring, my bloggy friend Anj @ SnowyBliss posted these beautiful fabric roses.
I've wanted to make some ever since. I finally got around to it recently. The one thing I wanted to change, though, was to finish the edges. I'm sharing the way I made my version, but I don't really consider this a tutorial as I heavily relied on Anj's tutorial. Let's just call it my variation on her theme.
I cut several strips of fabric in pairs, selvage to selvage 2-2.5" wide. (A few were less than selvage to selvage...it just makes a smaller flower.)
I matched them right sides together, pressed well, and then traced a scalloped pattern with my water soluable pen.
I sewed along the scallop line, 1/4" in.
It looks like this:
Using my pinking shears, I trimmed around the scallop...
and also notched at the joint between scallops.
Turn the fabric right side out,
and press well again.
On one end, I tucked the unfinished edge in like this: (about two scallops length)
Sew a gathering stitch along the rest of the unfinished edge.
Now you're ready to assemble. I gathered some sticks from a broken branch. They were the perfect color for a rose stem. Using hot glue, insert a stick into part of your scallop (opposite end of where you ironed under the edge).
Bunch the fabric around the stick to make a bud shape.
After pulling those gathering stitches tight, wind the fabric around the bud, gluing as you go.
When you get to the end, make sure the folded side covers up the gathers.
For fun, I cut some wool felt leaves, and added them to just under the flower and a few on the stem.
And here are the roses in my new summer decor:
The best part about these flowers are they are so customizable! I hope you make some, whether following Anj's tutorial, or my variation on her theme.
Featured on Someday Crafts, My Girlish Whims, and Freckled Laundry!
Blue Cricket Designs