21 January 2011

Creating an inset heart with finished edge tutorial


{Warning...wordy intro, please indulge me!}



I'm in the middle of making Valentines pouches for my kids.  In between doctors visits, school out, and such, it's been a slow process.  I'm glad I hadn't gotten too far, because there have been so many cute things out in the crafty ranks.  Let me walk you through a little history first. 

I bought the Love Pouch pattern from Melissa last year, and found fabric on sale after Valentines, so this has been a long time coming.
Image via Fourteen May

Kalleen posted her darling pouches, and I knew I had to do a meld of the two patterns.

via Second Street

Next, Kalleen posted more inspiration, and I fell in love with this idea on Our Scoop.

via Our Scoop
Completely enamored by the inset heart, I wanted to do something similar, but with fabric and not felt.  Finally, Vanessa has this darling pillow...and I was hooked.
via V & Co
The only thing is, I didn't want the rough edge on my hearts.  So, after such a long introduction, here's my solution. 

To make an inset heart, you'll need:
  • Outer fabric
  • 4" square of iron-on interfacing
  • Matching thread
  • Contrasting fabric
  • Sewing tools, including scissors, machine, iron and ironing board.
  • Plus, a heart template of your choosing.  I drew mine on some cardstock.
{Tiny disclaimer, practice this once or twice on scraps to make sure you've got the technique down.}
Step one.  Trace the heart on to the interfacing, adhesive side up.  This won't work unless you have the iron-on dots going to the back. 

Step Two.  Identify where you want to place the heart, and pin in place.  Mine is two inches from the bottom and centered.   You are sewing the interfacing to the right side of your fabric, with flat side of the interfacing against the fabric (dots facing out).


Step three.  Sew around the tracing line.  Be sure you are using a locking stitch at the beginning and end of your stitching.


I recommend using a shorter stitch length, just to keep this really tight.  On my machine, I used a 2, rather than the 3 I usually use for topstitching.

Step four. Using your sharp scissors, cut into the middle of the heart.  Then trim all the edges. 




Clipping curves allows for easy manipulation of the interfacing when you pull it to the back. You'll also need to clip the outer interfacing at the dent at the top of the heart, and point at the bottom of the heart.

Step five.  Tuck the interfacing to the back side of the fabric, and iron in place.  



When you get to the indent at the top of the heart, and point at the bottom, work one side at a time.  




Step six.  Add contrasting fabric.   First, iron in place.


You can use a few pins, to hold things together if you choose.  Just be sure to remove them before you sew over them. 



All done!  

This would be a fun way to add detail to not just a Valentine's pouch,  but other projects from clothing to pillows.  Have fun with it.  I'll show you how our Valentine's pouches end up when I get them done this weekend.'

UPDATE: I finished up the Valentine's Pouches. You can see them HERE.

Featured on Craft Gossip,  Be Different Act Normal,  Whimsy Couture, and Sew What's New!

Sharing with Creation Corner, Freckled Laundry, Kojo Designs, Tatertots and Jello, Be Different Act NormalAlong for the Ride, and The Girl Creative.

32 happy thoughts:

Kalleen at Second Street said...

You make it look so easy. I really want to try this technique. I'm so glad you are making pouches, they are the greatest thing ever. Time consuming, but I think it will be worth it if we use these year after year.

chris said...

@Kalleen at Second StreetThanks, Kalleen! It really isn't too hard. Just takes some practice. I'm already thinking of other ways I could use this technique!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is awesome, Chris. I've been working on an idea, and this may be just what I need to get it to work out. Great tutorial!

The homebodies said...

Wow, I'm impressed at how good that looks. I will have to keep this in mind for future use!

-Rochelle @ http://homesweethomebodies.blogspot.com

Foundinthe-ALI said...

Awesome!!! This looks so pro!

http://foundintheali.blogspot.com/

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

love it! super easy and handy, thanks Chris!

erin said...

So beautiful, I love it. I'd love to make a little pillow like that for my daughter! Thanks for the tutorial. :-)

jandjhome said...

Oh, how I wish I could sew. Maybe I can get my mom to do this for me.

Caroline @ Rugrats + Royalty said...

Thoughts of what could be if I could only sew! Great tutorial!

Grandma G said...

What a slick idea! And it turns out so perfect! Thanks!

Tiffany said...

very cute.

iram said...

great idea

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

First of all thanks for posting this super little round up of these mail pouches! and second, that tutorial is super, I have used the dryer sheet method to make a finished heart applique, but I have never tried this finished inset method. Very professional!

ChezVies said...

I love love love this..thank you for sharing this..:)

Sew Can Do said...

Fabulous!!! I also hate the raggy raw edges & think this is genius - thanks!

Design Esquire said...

Gorgeous! Your kids are going to love them! I hope you're doing well.

Heidi Wilcox said...

So cute, you might just inspire me to dust the cob webs off my sewing machine!

FlyAwayHome said...

sewing 101.... what a great idea! I just stubbled across your site this morning and glad i did. Great site!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, Chris! Always wondered how to do that!

Elisa2011 said...

Geniale, grazie!

Unknown said...

I think I might have to give this a try for my Quilts for Queensland squares. Looks so cute!

Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

great tutorial! I just came across your site :)
New follower!

dominiquescraftcouture.blogpsot.com

Wendy said...

very clever! Must try this...

Mama Lusco said...

So clever to use interfacing! Thanks for sharing :)

Emily said...

Genius! I saw those other cute tutorials but wanted the edges of the heart to be finished. Thanks for sharing!

CraftyDeb said...

Fabulous tutorial - thanks :)
I'm going to post a link to it from my site :)

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

wow that looks so good. and the directions are so nice and clear thanks for sharing

Heather Louise said...

Brilliant, truly brilliant.

K-Sue said...

This is a great idea! I would not have thought to use the iron-on interfacing to make the nice, neat hole first. I think a lot of projects will start showing up using your method.

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I have to get my valentines day ideas done and this with work wonderfully.

Autum said...

Wow! You are a genius. Thank you so much for letting me know you tried the SMS tutorial. It allowed me to drop by your wonderful blog. In just my short visit, I've already seen several things I want to try, this being on the top of my list. I better get to it, Valentine's is just around the corner.

Misty Makes said...

I'm a newbie and thanks to your tutorial Im pretty sure I can do this and bonus I dont have to buy any thing special to do it (I already have interfacing and fabric to practice).

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...