10 November 2010

Crafty Shelves and a guest post


Moving means creating new spaces. My husband and I have the office/crafty zone in our new bedroom. I have my stuff in one corner, and we share the desk. More storage was a priority, but the budget still mattered.  I'll show you how we made the shelves here on my blog, and then click over to The Polka Dot Chair to find out how I spiffied them up.

Our solution was to use premade MDF stair treads we found at the home improvement store and heavy duty metal brackets.  Total cost, $20.

First, I primed and painted the treads.  I used a heavy duty paint with built in polyurethane used for cabinets since there would be a lot use (I already had the paint from redoing my daughters' chest of drawers). 


When they were dry,  my sweet spouse helped me install the shelves.  Notice all the holes in the wall?


 It was tough work to screw into the dense MDF, but nothing we he couldn't handle.


My job was to make the wall look like we hadn't banged a bunch of holes into it.  We used the longest screws we had, but they were black...and the brackets are white.  So, I painted the screws by dabbing on white craft paint.


Here is what they looked like when we were first done.


Now to find out what I did to spiffy up my the shelves, click on over to The Polka Dot Chair.  If you haven't visited Melissa's blog yet, she is an amazing sewist and DIYer.  I promise you'll love her stuff as much as I do.

Linked to Categorically Crafting Sewing Rooms, and House of Hepworths
giveaways

6 happy thoughts:

celeste said...

nice work, chris.

your box pleat tutorial will help me with a skirt i've been meaning to sew for the sink in my bathroom.

Mel said...

Love the box pleats.

I put up some new shelves this week too, but I just hot glued some ribbon on the edges; I wasn't nearly as ambitious as you.

Unknown said...

Adorably organized!

Leanne said...

Cute and organized! I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday link party until Saturday and would love for you to come join the party. There's a great giveaway too.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Very cute!! Just love it!

Holly Lefevre said...

It looks fabulous. I am getting ready to tackle the craft/sewing room...making a folder of all these fab ideas!

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...