14 June 2010
We've had the summer of outdoor improvement at the Pickup household...although the weather doesn't think it is summer yet. What with a dog and toddler, our newly planted garden was getting trampled. Big problem! Solution: build a fence. We had a bunch of old fencing material from a job Mr. Pickup had to do last fall, so there was minimum investment. It just took a lot of digging, playing with the chop saw, and my hitachi drill.
See all those posts? They were dug out by hand...the majority by myself. We had to cut down 8 foot slats to get the four footers you see. All of them are reclaimed. The only new wood are some of the cross pieces. We even recycled screws...although I would not recommend it. They were SO difficult to get in. When we switched to new ones there was such a difference.
This is what we got accomplished a week ago...
Now we have it completed!
It's not the prettiest thing in the world...but it is functional, and that's what we needed. Those mountains you see in the far background across the Snake River Plain are the Sawtooths. On a clear day you can see them...especially since they are still covered with snow!
We've also been making DIY curbing. Mr. Pickup came up with a way to make our own forms. I can now add concrete finishing to my list of many talents. Don't look too close.
With happy news to report, the strawberries are in bloom. We weren't sure when we planted scrawny bareroot stock that we'd even get green leaves...or survive a couple late frosts. We won't have a big crop this year, but anything would be great.
I'm excited that the garden is almost all up, except for the carrots and onions. Now we need to plant the second crop of veggies. There is always something to do. Thanks to the responsibility checklists, the kids are a little more motivated to grab the hoe and get to work in the mornings.
Linked to Sugar Bee Craft Edition, Today's Creative Blog, and Life in my PJs.
Labels: In the Garden